I love that I can stuff so much protein, fiber, and nutrients into my burritos!
The Spanish rice you'll use in these loaded burritos is packed with goodness, including paprika, bell peppers, celery, onions, and kaniwa (a grain similar to quinoa). There are so many delicious ingredients in this recipe that you may have trouble keeping all of the filling inside the burritos... I know I did! Stuff them with what you can and serve any remaining beans and rice on the side. To finish it off the chipotle sauce is delicious!
COOK TIME: 35 min
NUTRITION PER SERVING
1/4 cup spanish rice
2 cloves garlic
1 can black beans
1 package WildWood organic sprouted Tofu
4 oz laminate kale
2 oz roasted red peppers
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp Mexican chile spice
2 whole wheat tortillas
1/4 cup Follow Your Heart Chipotle Vegenaise
1) Add the Spanish Rice and 2/3 cup water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
2) Peel and dice the onion. Peel and mince 1 clove garlic. Drain and rinse the black beans. Drain the WildWood tofu and dry well with paper towels. Destem the laminate kale, keeping the leaves as intact as much as possible. Massage kale leaves gently with your fingers to soften. Thinly slice the roasted red peppers.
3) Place a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add the diced onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Crumble the tofu into the skillet and add the mexican oregano, mexican chile spice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook until the tofu is browned in places and has dried out a little, about 7 minutes.
4) Lay the tortillas on a clean work surface. Top with Spanish rice, tofu chorizo, roasted red peppers, 1/4 cup black beans, and some of the massaged kale. Roll the burritos, tucking in the sides as you go.
5) Wipe the skillet clean and return to medium heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the burritos to the skillet, seam side down, and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip the burritos and cook an additional 2 minutes.
6) In a small bowl, mix the Follow Your Heart Chipotle Vegenaise with the juice from half of the lime. Cut the other half into wedges. Slice burritos in half and serve with chipotle lime sauce, any remaining kale and black beans, and lime wedges.
Megan The Vegan Mom