If someone mentions guacamole and tequila, I am all ears! I love Mexican food, especially quesadillas! This crispy vegan quesadilla is filled with smashed black beans and kimchi. The crunchy radishes in the pico add an extra bite of flavor, and its drizzled with vegan lime cream.
Before I was vegan I had never tried Kimchi, in fact I had no idea what it was.
Kimchi, is found in a lot of Korean style food. It is usually a side dish made from salted and fermented vegetables, mostly cabbage and radishes. They add a variety of seasonings including chili powder, scallions, garlic, and ginger. So it has a little kick to it.
If you would like to try a Purple Carrot meal service, use my link below to receive $25 off your first order.
Nutrition Per Serving:
2 oz radishes
3 tbsp Follow Your Heart sour cream
1 can black beans
1 tsp Mexican chile spice
2 flour tortillas
2 tsp vegetable oil
1. Dice the tomato. Peel and mince the shallot. Slice the radishes into thin sticks. Chop the cilantro leaves and tender stems. Combine everything in a medium bowl. Halve the lime and add the juice from half. Add a pinch of salt and stir radish pico de gallo to combine.
2. Combine the Follow Your Heart sour cream and remaining lime juice in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and stir the lime crema.
3. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and drain the rest. Add the black beans and the reserved liquid to the skillet along with the mexican chile spice. Cook beans until they are hot, about 5 to 7 minutes. Mash them into a spreadable paste and season with salt.
4. Drain any liquid from the kimchi and roughly chop. Lay the flour tortillas flat on a clean work surface and top half of each tortilla with the mashed beans, spreading them out. Top the beans with the kimchi, fold tortillas, and set aside.
5. Wipe the skillet clean and return to medium heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the quesadillas. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, then carefully flip to brown the other side; another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Cut each quesadilla into 3 pieces and divide between plates. Serve with radish pico de gallo and lime crema.
Megan The Vegan Mom