This bowl is filled with fresh herbs that smell like autumn. The herbs add warmth to this hearty barley and squash.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
3/4 cup barley
8oz butternut squash
2 mini sweet peppers
1 packet turbinado sugar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove
2 sprigs rosemary
1/4 cup pistachios
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 oz baby arugula
2 tsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper
If you would like to try a Purple Carrot meal service, use my link below to receive $25 off your first order.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the barley in a small sauce pan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook until tender, about 22 to 25 minutes. Drain barley and toss with 1 tsp olive oil to prevent sticking.
2. Place the butternut squash onto a baking sheet and toss with 1 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until tender and browned in places. About 18-20 minutes.
3. Slice the mini sweet peppers into very thin strips. Add peppers to a small sauce pan with the turbinado sugar, 1/4 cup water, apple cider vinegar, pink peppercorns, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer until the peppers are soft and the liquid is syrupy, about 10 minutes.
4. Peel and mince 1 garlic clove. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Destem the rosemary and mince the leaves. Thinly slice the scallion.
5. Add the pistachios to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and vegan butter to the skillet, and cook for an additional minute. Add the cooked barley, chopped parsley, rosemary, and scallions. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
6. Stir the baby arugula into the barley mixture and divide between two large bowls. Top herbed barley with roasted butternut squash and pickled peppers.
Megan The Vegan Mom