The traditional flavors of Mexican street corn veganized
I threw this together right before a family party this past Sunday. It was delicious!
Don't freak out about the amount of salt. I did at first but later learned that its not all going into the meal. Its just a coating and it will fall off.
Tofu Cojita "Cheese"
1 Block Extra firm tofu
2 lbs. Kosher salt
3 Cans Yellow corn
1/2 C. Vegan mayo
2 Jalapeno, diced
1/4 C. Cilantro, chopped
1/3 C. Red onion,chopped
2 Green onions,chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 C. Vegan Cojita Cheese
2 tsp. Chili and Lime Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Make the tofu Cojita cheese first. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut your block of tofu through the center on the side to make it thinner. Sprinkle with salt on both sides, and place on paper towels. Let it sit for about 15 minutes so some of the moisture is drawn out while the oven preheats.
2. Bake at 450 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until the salt has hardened and formed a crust and the salt has slightly browned.
3. Bake at 450 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until the salt has hardened and formed a crust and the salt has slightly browned.
4. Let cool, then crack the salt shell and pull out the tofu. Let the tofu cool completely, then crumble. You can store this in an air tight container in the fridge until you are ready to use.
5. Once you are ready to make the corn salad, drain the corn, and pour into a large mixing bowl. Then stir in the remaining salad ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve! You can make this ahead of time and keep in the fridge until ready to party!