The last year of my twenties, HELLO 29.....
*My birthday is JULY 21st*
I could look back at the year, but this year has been one of the nine that have created almost a decade of the most transformative years of life. The truth is I believe that the life that happens in your 20’s is the most defining of all. There are huge decisions made about your career, relationships, lifestyle, and ultimately who you will be into your 30’s. The difference between 20 and 30 seems far different than the difference between 30 to 40.
29 is an odd age. It is the end of a decade-long era and not quite the beginning of another....
As I get ready to enter the final year of my 20s, I decided to write out what I know now that I didn’t know when I entered this delicate decade...
- All the times people tell you that you can’t eat at 29 the way you are eating at 22 without gaining weight? They aren’t lying. Your “fast metabolism” isn't so fast after four years of pancakes for breakfast.
- If you are lucky, your mom and dad will still be around. If you are really lucky, you will find yourself closer to them than ever before. If you are the luckiest of all, they will be the two most precious people in your life.
- There is nothing a margarita, a phone call with your mom, and a night in watching when "Harry Met Sally" can’t fix...even as an adult.
- Your best years are not over. My best years have happened, are happening now and are in the future. Every year brings so many “bests”!
- You will find that you have less judgement to give, less comparisons to make and more compassion for every single person and ANIMAL you encounter.
- As I have realized certain people in my life don’t energize me, but enervate me, I find myself walking away from them slowly and without much attention being brought to it, and learning its okay to let them go.
- Health is something I have come to value. I still enjoy a good bowl of cookie dough every now and again, but I no longer enjoy how I feel after stuffing my face or skipping my morning exercise.
- Being a Mother has brought me more joy and happiness than I could have imagined.
- I now realize that real love isn’t easy or simple. It is made up of laughing so hard you cry, embarrassing dance moves, nit-picking, arguments over nothingness, kisses on the forehead, forgiveness, intimacy, fights, make-ups, home-cooked meals, vacations, anniversaries, pain, ups, downs and everything in between. But that look, that only the two of you share that says nothing and means everything, can still make you weak in the knees and vulnerable beyond measure. Real love is everything! I am lucky to have found mine and married him!
As I enter my 29th turn around the sun, my final year in the decade of my 20s, who I am is someone I love, (it took awhile to think like that). I know now, that change is inevitable. I have changed a thousand times and yet I have always held on to the essence that is me. I know myself. Now more than ever. I am so excited for this ride of the life I have choosen.
I have been vegan for awhile now but I still want everyone to know that it has truly changed my entire life. I always wish I would have learned about this lifestyle earlier on, but I am so grateful to have discovered it now. It really is not just a diet, it is a lifestyle change that completely shifts your mindset to be much more self less and so much more open minded.
When people ask me what veganism is all about, I usually end up explaining what it is by telling them about my love for animals and what the health benefits are. If you are new here, in a nutshell, Veganism is when someone chooses to live their life without eating or using any animal products. You eat a plant-based diet, and you don't use leather, wear fur, or buy products that have been tested on animals.
- It helped me loose weight
- Informed me on the truth about Dairy
- It has made me aware of how our diet choices affect the world
- It has allowed me to reach my fitness goals and strengths I have been dreaming of
- My skin has cleared up tremedously
- More energy and less anxiety
- I have learned about new types of food and different styles of cooking
Now a little over a year into Veganism, I am hearing about my friends turning vegan, or trying vegetarianism, or pescatarian, or meatless Mondays and that just makes me so so happy! I have seen a lot of new Vegan restaurants pop up in Utah, which makes for many more tasty meals and meeting friends! It shows me that leading by example is the best way to live and that when you’re happy in yourself and your own decisions then people will follow. But it is important to come from a place of love and not hate when discussing this information because there is nothing negative about veganism. So for my birthday wish... and also for the animals, the planet, and your health consider veganism.